Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Old Husher's Marketing Materials

If you live in Cleveland, and somewhat moderately pay attention to your surroundings (like you notice new graffiti every so often), and run around the single degree of separation that is also Cleveland, then you may have noticed some of my marketing materials here or there.

If not, I'm glad I have this chance to tell you all about them. First off, I invite you to take a mighty gander at them up top of this blog.

In order of appearance from top to bottom, you see the flyer for my "Produce Prepaids Program" that has affectionately synonymously morphed into my "Not-A-CSA" program; the classic and almost soldoutish "A Farm in Cleveland?!" t-shirt is next; and last but not least is the sentiment we're all feeling more and more these days, "CORPORATE FOOD STILL SUCKS," the sticker, which is soon to be followed by the t-shirt.

Currently, I'm most excited about the Produce Prepaids Program, aka the Not-A-CSA. That being said, the Prepaids are similar to a traditional CSA program in that the customer buys-in or prepays in advance for fresh produce in the future. Both systems create a commitment directly from customer to farmer/salesperson, or in my case directly from customer to me.

Now from there, the Prepaids are different from a traditional CSA program. I would like to take the chance right now to accentuate these differences. First off, my Prepaids are more affordable and therefore more accessible than other CSAs. The cost of the Prepaids is only $50, which is in stunning contrast to my peers'/competitors' cost that range from $400-$700.

Now that you know you can most likely afford it, and just like Devo's 1980 breakthrough album, I give the Prepaids "Freedom of Choice," which also differs from traditional CSAs.

My Prepaid customers have the freedom to choose the vegetables of their choice. I will not pre-determine/determine somebody's food-buying like other CSAs. My customers will not get sick of kale or bok choy unless they want to get sick of kale or bok choy. If my Prepaids need 10 pounds of canning tomatoes, then they got 10 pounds of canning tomatoes.

Furthermore, unlike other traditional/stuffy CSAs, my Prepaids are not locked into a singular/concrete pick-up day and time. Rather, my Prepaids have the freedom to choose their pickup time (within reason) at my Lakewood home in the detached garage when it is convenient for them. Micro-local delivery will also be available for a $2 delivery fee, which will be waived if the delivery is on the way to something else.

Because my Prepaids will only be inundated by my vegetables at their choosing, this gives my Prepaids additional freedoms like the ability to spread their wealth to other farmers and farmer's markets. My Prepaids can give Old Husher the brake for a couple of weeks/months. This is in the name of customer service and for my other urban farmer brethren.

Finally, because the Prepaids Program is cash-based versus time-based, a Prepaid customer's contract lasts only as long as there is cash in their account. A Prepaid customer will never feel "trapped" through an entire growing season like the traditional time-based CSAs. Once the $50 is spent, a Prepaid customer may move on (a very unlikely event), buy-in another $50, or simply agree to accept sales texts going into the future.

This brings me to my next outlier question. Exactly, how do I communicate veggie availability with my Prepaids? Availability will be communicated via sales texts when the produce comes available and will also be listed on Old Husher's Farm page when that comes into existence on Facebook later this month.

So to make the deal even sweeter, I'm running a special right now through February that a $50 prepay will actually buy a $60 credit. That's like a 20% bonus coupon!

Back in 2009 when this plan was first starting to come together, I would tell everybody I knew about it. Back then, there was a small group of individuals, who I was basically preaching to the converted about my would-be urban farm. But in general, most recipients of my farm diatribe would look confused and fairly often exclaimed, "A Farm in Cleveland?!" From this naturally occurring re-occurrence, my first logo was born in the form of nine-colored "A Farm in Cleveland?!" t-shirt.

Local artist, Stephe DK, was commissioned for the Cleveland mirror-image and my likeness design. From there, the design went to print at the National screen printer juggernaut, that is located right here in Cleveland, known as Jakprints. Because I believe men and womens' bodies are very differently shaped, I opted for both a man and woman's cut t-shirt. The woman's t-shirt is available in sizes small through extra-large, is 100% organic cotton, is made in the USA, is Bella brand, and is form fitting. The man's t-shirt is 100% cotton and made by Gildan. The man's t-shirt was selected based on what I found most in my drawer. It is also available from small through extra-large.

For me, the ultimate goal of the "A Farm in Cleveland?!" logo is for me to have helped change Cleveland and the subsequent National dialogue regarding Cleveland. I would like Cleveland's National "burning river" image to change a more appropriate "a farm in Cleveland!" with the question mark removed on purpose. There's enough of it happening here that it seems completely plausible to me.

If you'd like to get a hold of one of these t-shirts and wondering how, I am pleased to announce there are options. If you see me in Cleveland within this one degree of separation, chances are I'll have t-shirts (say at Gordon Square Farmer's Market or at my public speaking event at CSU tomorrow). They're $20. Also, the Root Cafe in Lakewood carries a stock of shirts, also for $20. Now beyond Cleveland, the t-shirts are $25 postage paid via Paypal. See below. Please indicate gender and size in the special instructions section.

Lastly, "CORPORATE FOOD STILL SUCKS" is a sentiment that's growing more and more everyday, especially with the recent presidential approval of Monsatan's genetically modified alfalfa, beets, and corn. If you see me around town, the stickers are free. Otherwise, the stickers are 3 for $2 postage paid . Also, via Paypal.

No comments:

Post a Comment