Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Moss Garden

So this is about two weeks into starting a moss garden. The moss was started from specimens collected in Lakeview Cemetery. I started with about a half square foot moss, half gallon buttermilk, 1/4 C sugar, and about as much water. I then put these ingredients in a blender (the blender I make smoothies with) and proceeded to make a sludgy, mossy, green slurry. This was then poured on the rocks. The rocks have been watered every day since.

If I do this again, I'll be sure to double/triple the initial starting moss. And, I will actually use something like a paint brush to more evenly coat the rocks with the moss slurry. The pouring of the slurry caused the moss to go splat in several areas, and thus represented an unequal distribution.

3 comments:

  1. Good luck, Justin!!!

    I am following your blog through Google Reader

    -Sean C.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been looking for a solution to a small back yard that is mostly concrete and asphalt (industrial living space). I heard a piece on NPR the other day about moss, and a light bulb went off. I'm going to have a rock/moss garden to cover a lot of the asphalt! Your blog has been quite helpful.
    Scott

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am going to slurry my concrete bunny! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete